5 BEST KITCHEN REMODELING TIPS
When you shop for a home, what do you look for in the kitchen? Let us guess:
Sparkling stainless appliances.
Did we hit the nail on the head?
We thought so. However, if you’re buying an older home like most buyers, you may have to update to get the look and features you want. Here are five tips to help you get your dream kitchen started:
1. Choose a kitchen designer. They’re trained to help you solve the most challenging kitchen problems and to work within your budget. A kitchen designer can recommend contractors and oversee all installations to make sure they are done correctly. Some can serve as contractors for a turnkey job.
2. Hire qualified contractors. Cheaper isn’t necessarily better. Check references, licenses, and make sure their subcontractors are also bonded and insured.
3. Consider the age of the home for a more organic look. For example, mid-century linoleum floors are more in fashion now than ever before. New patterns and colors in tile can mimic wood or stone for easy upkeep. Try porcelain instead of wood on cabinets for a sleek minimalist look.
4. Be willing to compromise on costs or space. Cut the expense of new cabinetry by replacing some uppers with trendy open shelving. Splurge on granite for the island, but finish the other countertops with a workhorse stone-like laminate or tile.
5. Don’t try to save money by doing work you aren’t qualified to do. You may be able to install flooring or a backsplash with a friend and a tutorial, but if a job requires a license like an electrician or plumber, it’s best to hire a professional.
Like us on Facebook • Follow us on Instagram • Follow us on Twitter
Search homes for sale in your area here.